Frequently Asked Questions

United Electric is your “Home Safety Specialists.” Your safety is of utmost importance to our technicians.

United Electric knows that more home fires are caused by negligent or faulty wiring than any other source.

It is our goal to detect and prevent any electrical problems that exist or that you may have in the future. We want you to feel assured that your home is safe and free of any electrical issues.

United Electric understands that some electrical issues must be addressed on an immediate basis, while others are not as urgent. Upon inspection, our trained electricians will advise you on these matters and take the time to go over exactly what is needed and wanted with attention to prioritization.

To help you understand the process, here are a few FAQs:

What is Trouble Shooting?

Troubleshooting is the investigative time necessary to locate the source of your electrical issue. Our technicians are trained to get to the bottom of your electrical problem quickly and accurately. Our technicians will listen to you concerns, examine and test your electrical wiring and give you an accurate estimate of the work that needs to be done.


How long does Trouble Shooting take?

Trouble shooting is typically does not take very long. In most cases, trouble shooting takes about an hour. Frequently, the resolution to the problem is easier and less time consuming than locating the problem! If the trouble shooting process will take additional time, our technicians will let you know before continuing the work.


How many technicians will be dispatched to me for service?

This will depend on the job you request. In most cases, only one technician is necessary. However, on larger jobs, United Electric may dispatch two or more in order to get the job done efficiently and on time.


Will you fix the problem the same day?

In most cases, yes. The majority of service calls are completed in short order. However, some electrical problems require city or county inspections and/or permits. In these cases, we work around your availability and the schedules of these agencies.


How much will it cost?

When you call United Electric, we will attempt to give you as accurate a quote as possible over the phone. If it is necessary to see the job first, we will tell you. And once the technician arrives at your home, he will keep you apprised of any unforeseen circumstances before any additional work is done so you are not hit with a surprise bill.


Why do circuit breakers trip?

The most common reason for a circuit breaker tripping is an overload. What is an overload? It is too many things plugged into or turned on in the circuit. Another reason for circuit breakers to trip is a short circuit caused by faulty wiring, appliances or fixtures. These are normally swiftly diagnosed and handled by one of our skilled technicians.


What is a GFCI?

A GFCI or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, is a special breaker or receptacle providing significant protection from shock saving the lives of thousands since it’s introduction. The GFCI continuously compares the line path of current and if an imbalance is detected, it immediately opens (trips) the circuit. These are the receptacles with the “test” and “reset” buttons found in many bathrooms and kitchens.


What is an AFCI?

An AFCI or Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter, is a special breaker intended to provide fire protection caused by arcing faults. Arcing in your home could be an unintended spark caused by something such as a tree falling on a power line during a storm. An arc fault is caused by high intensity heating at the point of the arc resulting in burning particles that may ignite surrounding material such as wood framing or insulation. An AFCI recognizes the arcing fault and shuts the power off to the circuit to protect against fire. AFCIs have been required in all new homes’ bedrooms effective January 1, 2002. If you have an older home you can still benefit greatly with AFCI protection. By installing AFCIs in your home you and your family against will be protected by the best technology available.


Why do my light bulbs burn out so quickly?

There are several reasons this could occur. But some of the most common reasons for this are; exceeding the maximum lamp wattage of the fixture or a shorted out fixture, vibration from a ceiling fan, garage door opener, or a slamming door. The more information you can provide our technicians, the more quickly he can diagnose the problem and save you time and money.


Are battery powered smoke detectors good enough or should I upgrade them?

The National Electrical Code requires that each smoke detector in your home be hard-wired into your electrical system with a battery back-up, in case your power loss, and interconnected with your other smoke detectors. This safety standard is set so if one smoke detector goes off, they all go off.


Is one smoke detector for my home enough?

Smoke detectors are required in each bedroom and within six feet of your bedroom door. If your home is equipped with natural gas, propane or an attached garage, a CO Detector (Carbon monoxide a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas produced by malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances such as; furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters; engine-powered equipment such as portable generators, and fireplaces) is also required to be installed within 15 feet of your bedroom door.


What is a surge arrestor?

A surge arrestor protects your home and belongings against surges, spikes, lightning etc. Many people use the type of surge protectors that simply plug into the wall and then plug their equipment into it. This may not be enough and is less than optimum. United Electric can install a whole house surge protector that will protect everything in your house including phone and cable equipment. This is will provide optimum surge protection for you your home and it’s contents.


My dimmers get warm, is this safe?

During normal operation, dimmers will feel warm to the touch. The closer a dimmer is run on full output and the higher the load (watts) on the dimmer, the warmer it will feel. This is perfectly normal and safe. Dimmers are designed to the strictest UL safety standard, and can handle their full rated load without overheating.